Friday, August 27, 2010

My compost

The compost pile


Before being composted


One half way through being composted.


We had a couple of compost boxes full of leaves for a couple years but they didn't have green manure and weren't watered often so nothing much happened. Since we decided to get chickens again we had to clean out the coop run. So....back to the old 2-week compost formula!

I actually started 2 piles, the first one was the bottom of the compost boxes and the bottom of the cuttings in the coop run. This was all the stuff that was pretty much composted already. The second compost pile was made up of about 1/3 dry leaves and old cuttings in the run. I have added grass clippings and some of the agapantha leaves I pruned last week. I turn the piles every other day and they are both hot and really working. They have shrunk down over 2 feet each and it looks really good. I have now combined the piles to one large one. I have about 6 days to go. I am planning to use the compost as top dressing in the flower beds

No comments:

Post a Comment