Sunday, March 17, 2013

Chop! Chop!

There were certain things that were divided up when my mother-in-law passed away and my Dear Hubby brought home these little things that had memories for him.  Another kitchen tool from my mother-in-law's kitchen - a chopper!

I really haven't used this tool.  But it looks like it was well used.  They didn't have teflon coated pans so they didn't have to worry about what kind of tools they used in their pans.  Grandma used this for chopping scraping the potatoes and onions in the iron skillet as she was cooking hash.

I don't know how to date this tool except by the green and ivory paint on it.  That green I think was very popular during or around World War II.  I inherited a bunch of bedroom furniture that was all painted that green.

My mother-in-law had lots of stories of the "old days".  Stories of when her mom passed away when she was just a little girl.  Stories of how her and her identical twin sister would switch hair ribbons, thus switch identity to fool their teacher or friends.  Or ones about her step-mother and how unsympathetic and mean she was to her new family.  About the young man in a surry with the fringe on top, lost her to the young man that became her husband.

She got married and they started out at the bottom of the rung.  They rented land with a tiny house on the top of the hill and a stream below.  As children and diapers came, it was very difficult for her to haul water up the hill to heat for water to wash clothes and diapers. 

We really should stop once and a while and think how lucky we are to have running water, let alone HOT water!

**By the way, I was corrected again on the post from several days ago "The Mixer Story" about the big mixing spoon.  I was talking to my sister-in-law about the "Opal Ring" to get the "rest of the story" and I mentioned I was documenting different things that had been passed down so the kids will know the history on them.  I mentioned the big mixing spoon and what I had said about it and the pictures I had posted, and I remembered Grandma Luella mixing up big batches of potato salad, cookies, etc.  And she popped up and said " And I have that spoon!"  And I said, "Wait, I thought I had that spoon."  She says, "Nope, I got it!"  And I said, " OK, I've got to ask Dear Hubby about the one we have."  Well, Dear Hubby says, " Yeh, I think I bought it at a flea market because it looked like my moms."  OK, I stand corrected. :-) **

No comments:

Post a Comment