Monday, March 18, 2013

Note from the Past - 1887

Quite a few years ago my aunt gave me this dresser, telling me the history of it.
  Then when I was cleaning behind it some years ago I found this note from the past:


And what it says:
Cleaned the upstairs  Nov 19
Cleaned Grandma's room  Nov 20
Cleaned our rooms and _______ Nov 21
1887
Cora and I
                                       Lizzie Maxson

So precious!  The "Grandma" was my great great great grandmother.  "Cora" was my great grandmother and "Lizzie" was Cora's sister and my great aunt.

There is another note attached:

This note says:
July 14, 1972
RE:  Dresser
It was Mom's (Daisy Wick ) Grandma Maxson's dresser as long as she can remember, out in the old homestead farm house and in Lawton (Cora Eberly's) house when it was her parents house.  It came from great grandparents Mead from Pastora, Iowa.
Edna Thill

My Notes:
1. Actually it was Daisy Wick's Great Grandma Maxson's dresser.  If you look back at my post on the quilt made for my Aunt Edna, this was the wonderful lady that made the quilt.
2. The old homestead was just outside of Lawton, Iowa
3. The Lawton house was Cora's parents retirement house which they gave Cora later.


Then there is this note on masking tape:

Grandma's Dresser to go to Mary Kay after Edna's death.


Aunt Edna was very ahead of the game on everything, she gave me the dresser when she gave up her house to go into a retirement facility.  She is still living and will celebrate her 99th birthday in June!

No comments:

Post a Comment