Thursday, November 1, 2018

Textile Archive

I have started to archive the textiles at the Patterson House in Ardenwood Historic Farm, Fremont, CA.  So I thought everyone may be interested in seeing some of the items I have been working on.
The Archive had been somewhat started years ago but had only gotten a a few things done.

So...I had volunteered to clean and organize the costume closet and in the process I would come across really old items that didn't belong in with the costumes.  And that led to deciding to take on the archives.  I started with the textiles because that is what I kept coming across.

I researched preservation of old textiles and how to archive them.   And when I felt confident I wouldn't hurt anything I bought some acid free paper, found some unbleached muslin and went to work.

I came up with our own numbering system to fit our kind of situation.  It is based on what museums use plus our adaptation.  Example: T 2018 .0 .1  -1
T       = textile
2018 = The year the item came into the Patterson House Collection
.0      = Found in the house with no information known.  If there was a donor known the number would correspond with that donor, the first donor would be .1
.1      = the item number found in the house collection or that the donor has given.
-1      = This is the location in the house where this item is kept.  This was added to help our collection item to find their way back to their storage box after being exhibited.

The first items were pieces of lace.  No information where they came from or who gave them to the Patterson House but they were smashed together in small stationary boxes.  I had a lady from the Lace Museum take a look at them.  She said they were in the 1900-1915 era because they were all machine lace, some of them pieced together by hand.  Most of these are lace collars or lace pieces to be basted to the front of a lady's dress.

So below are the first ones, each with a close up view after a picture of the complete item.
































No comments:

Post a Comment