Saturday, December 15, 2018

Quilts!

We have 2 quilts that date back to the 1850s donated to the Patterson House by the Great Great Granddaughter of the lady that made them.  This donor is the one that also donated the 1850s bonnet and vest that I have already shown.

Both of these quilts are done in the fan pattern.  I find them so interesting because you can see lots of the fabrics from that period.  And the most "exotic" of the fabrics are the ones that have not held up as well.  I guess that may be a lesson to learn, in case you are making a quilt you want to pass on thru the generations.  Both quilts are in good condition in general but have spots of insect damage, and then there is the disintegration of the silk fabrics.  In my pictures, you can tell, I was really documenting the damaged spots.

The first quilt, I call the Red Quilt.  The background on the front is in red.



I did remember to take one overall view!

This is the back of the Red Quilt.  Most of it is backed in multi-striped cotton fabric.

Again, I was focusing on the damaged areas, but I hope you can enjoy the different fabrics!




And look at the nice even stitches.  Of course, these quilts are all hand done.

There is that damage of silk fabric.
 I find it so interesting also, to be able to see the fabrics below the top layer.  It seems to be padded with other fabrics, and it is not real "fluffy" like our modern batting is.  Very practical but warm.



This fan is made up of silk velvet.  The dark blue velvet is in such bad shape.


And the 2nd one is the "Blue Quilt.  Of course, I forgot to take an over all photo, darn.



This is the back
And you can see the blue background in this photo.









Hope you enjoyed seeing the quilts!




  

No comments:

Post a Comment