Friday, October 1, 2010

Looking forward to tomorrow!

The Side Flowerbed in August, 2010.

I have the side flowerbed about 1/3 turned with manure. I thought I would be done by now but the heat really slowed the progress down.

Years ago we started some "4 o'clocks" from an old seed packet. They took forever to grow and it became a joke between my hubby and I. Then they got going, bloomed beautifully and then started reseeding like crazy! (They are the yellow flowers.) And over time they just did their thing. Well, after getting a little tired of pulling them out of the bricks in the path and lately all over the place, even the neighbor's yard, we got tired of them. So, when I started digging up the bed I was shocked to see that they have a tuber like thing for a root. Some of the are as big as a huge sweet potato! So it has really slowed me down with this area picking all those tubers out. And here I was just pulling up the stem for all this time!

A 4 O'Clock tuber:

So.....I won't be done with the flowerbed when I get home from Annie's Annuals big "planting party" and sale tomorrow. But, now that it has cooled off a lot I should be ready to plant by Monday!

The Side Flowerbed before starting to turn in manure in renewal of this bed. the white on the ground are manure bags:

No comments:

Post a Comment