Monday, February 25, 2013

A 100 year old McCall's pattern!


In honor of those beautiful gowns in "Lincoln",  I am bringing forth the McCalls Ladies skirt pattern!  While looking for an antique pin, I came across this pattern I bought at a little flea/antique market in Pennsylvania about 20 years ago.  I have had it just stashed away, afraid to even pull out the pattern pieces.  I have decided to make a copy of the pattern pieces and maybe even to actually try my hand at making the skirt.

Are you ready!







Here it is!
Did you notice the price, 15 cents!  

 Is that embellishment, or what.  See the size!  24 inch waist and 42 inch hips!! It's called corset and padding.


 And here you go, the instructions..... and believe me that is IT on the instructions.

So, I got big and brave and pulled (carefully) the pattern pieces out.

There were a few brown spots  but otherwise the pattern tissue looked fine.


Do you notice anything unusual?  No printing on the pattern pieces.  That will be challenging when making this skirt.....The instructions do say the names of the different pieces, hope it is obvious what is what.

And as I unfolded the pieces one kept going and going and going....

 This is the pattern for the bottom "underskirt".  It goes forever!

And then I started tracing the patterns.  I put the tracing paper on top of the pieces so I wouldn't mark the originals.There are these little rectangles and circles and arrow holes punched in the pattern.  The instructions tell you what they mean.


I thought it was interesting that the pattern paper was actually pieced at one point.  You can see the line but the paper is actually woven together at that point.

 So now I have all my copies.  I'm going to have to think about this project for awhile.

Hope you enjoyed that little adventure!  I did!









1 comment: