Sunday, February 10, 2013

Buttonholes and my problem with them

Challenge #4:  I plan to add a bit (embellishment) to my Challenge 3 corset cover, and to blouse sleeves. Then will tackle a new blouse with lace insertion.
First of all, about buttonholes......
This is my good friend, Elna.  She is 47 years old and is still doing her job.  I would love to know how many miles her little foot feed has gone while stiching away.  She has worked on tents, curtains, backpacks, Halloween costumes, bridesmaid dresses, shirts, dresses, historical costumes and tons of other things.  She came into the family when my sons were tiny and (don't tell him I told you, but he is about to turn 50!!)

She came with disks for all kinds of designs and a bunch of different attachments.

2 of the attachments were an embroidery foot and a zipper foot.  As you can see they are made of plastic.  Yup, they have both broken.

 Then I bought this zipper foot thing, which does work on Elna.  But I haven't had to put in buttonholes for a LONG time.  Zippers were more common.

So, now I have to remember how the thing works and actually do it.  Anyhow I miss Elna's zipper foot.  I looked on the internet and did find one so will try to get it. 

In the process, Elna found out she is now considered VINTAGE!  She is trying to figure out if she should take that as a compliment or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment