Sunday, February 10, 2013

Challenge #4 - Embellishment


 This morning I cut out a new blouse out of an off-white embroidered eyelet fabric.  This one is for the purpose of playing with Challenge #4.  The Late Victorians, in the midst of the industrial revolution, enjoyed the fruits of new machines that could make all kinds of things...like machine lace and braids and beads.  So they had to put them somewhere, so they decorated clothes and houses with all kinds of "gingerbread".

So out comes my lace/ribbon/braid stash.  Some of it has been in there for a long time.  The shortest is 14" long.


 I decided to make this blouse scooped neckline with a lace insert.  And I made the pattern 2" wider in the front to allow for a total 8 pin tucks at the neckline.

Here I actually remembered to take a picture for you as I am doing the tucks.








 And!  Lookie what I found!  A piece of embroidered ribbon that will fit right down the center front.

You can see the pin tucks on each side of the ribbon.

Then I started laying out braids, ribbon, lace to see where everything should go.

 





Tonight we will be watching Downton Abbey so guess what I will be doing!  Hand stitching down ribbon and braid.








No comments:

Post a Comment