Thursday, June 13, 2013

Volunteering

I was talking with a friend about the CALbug project and just what it was.  This kind of explains it:


And that brought up some of the volunteer projects I have participated in.  My husband and I volunteered in one way or another at the school for all the years the kids were there. 

I helped with conservation of the old vestments used in the 1700s at Mission San Jose.  The material the vestments were made of had been donated dresses from wealthy Spanish ladies.  I worked on a particularly beautiful vestment of silk flowered material.  It came with a note that Fr. Sierra had worn it.  The flowers were still bright and beautiful.

Ardenwood is one of my pet volunteer projects, as you can probably tell if you follow this blog at all!

I worked for over 2 years on a project called "Stardust-at-Home".  Wikipedia describes it as "Stardust@home is a citizen science project that encourages volunteers to search images for tiny interstellar dust impacts". That is a very interesting project.  

So "Notes from Nature" is my latest, so you will be seeing more bugs off and on.

As I am logging in the information my thoughts turn to the people that collected all these insects.  Did they go on all these trips just to look for bugs, or were they just going on trips and happened to pick up a few bugs on the way?  Did they just collect bugs when they saw them or did they collect a bug because it looked different than others they had seen.


These bug collectors seem to all know each other and even go on these collecting trips together.  They also know the scientific names for lots of plants.  And they really get around to lots of places!

By the way, I have done 687 records so far.  I do them while watching TV in the evening with my husband. 

No comments:

Post a Comment