Friday, January 4, 2013

More Research on Parasols

I know the umbrella frame I have is from the turn of the century.  I thought it was around 1913 but that may be pushing it.  It is probably earlier that that.  In the 1800s parasols were part of a ladies outfit.  They always seemed to have one.  Up to 1905 it seems they were still popular but started to fade in popularity fairly quickly.

The style from 1900 changes from frilly with lots of trim to more plain but often with a stripe pattern involved.  In the fashion plates I have found of 1913 there are just a few.  One has a lace trim on the outer edge, another has a fringe of pleats. 

I had already added a lace trim on the outer edge and I added a "stripe" of floral ribbon just in a couple inches from the outer edge.  I think it would pass as transitional. 

At this point I am still hand sewing the floral strip and edgings to it.  I will add photos tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment