Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Regroup to go Forward!

I spent some time at Joann Fabric yesterday looking for some interesting silk fabric to cover my parasol for challenge #1.  Couldn't find any silk and the "silkies" just wouldn't cut it.  I did happen to see a brocade that I thought might work.  It has a bit of Japanese look to it, gold chrysanthemums on a white background.  I did buy a yard (50%) off but I really am not happy with it after all.  It just doesn't look like the 1913 period after all.

This the fabric I originally bought.  
 I liked the "Japanese look" because there is "history" with Clara Patterson (Ardenwood Farm) loving the Orient and visiting Japan at the turn of the century.  She has a bit of bamboo look in the stained glass windows in the guest parlor and we have a photo of her in a kimono.  But.....it just seemed too shiney and heavy and just not right.

In the meantime, I realized I really didn't know what I had in fabric and trims, so I went though all my stuff and now I am ready for future challenges!  In that process I found some dotted swiss that will work perfectly for the 1913 period.  So I'm on the road again!

The brocade will work with another parasol from  Civil War period after I stabilize some of the parts of the parasol.

So, this evening I will be working on the dotted Swiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment