Monday, January 14, 2013

Un Finished Object - Challenge #2 part 1

I spent some time on the corset pad project today.  I had gotten my old dress form down from the attic.  My duct tape form was made when I was not wearing the corset so it really isn't made to the corset measurements.  So I doctored up my old dress form to my size minus 3" for each measurement which according to those that know is how much your measurements change with the corset on.  Then I put the Edwardian corset on the form.

Edwardian Corset without bust pads...

And without hip pad.
It sure doesn't have the S shape at this point.

 You can see how it doesn't really have "form".  This corset is the one that gives an "S Shape".  It has padding that supports the bust because the corset does not really touch the chest area. There is a "rear pad" also.  It goes under the corset and helps create the "S" in the back.

The padding.



This is with the padding and you can see some difference.  The padding seemed to need a bit more stuffing so I rectified that problem.  


With the padding and the petticoat I can see the S form developing.  I haven't actually tried it on at this point.

I did want to document the bustle I found at a flea market in Pennsylvania about 20 years ago.  The seller did not know what it was, I thought it might be a bustle but wasn't sure.  It is made of thin metal woven into this form.  The belt is twill tape.  I rarely use it because it has several places where the wire is rusting away. 

And that's not all!

UPS just delivered 2 pieces of fabric I ordered online.  JoAnn Fabric has such a limited fabric selection.....Almost everything has polyester in it also.  This material is from Burnley and Trowbridge Co. in Williamsburg, VA. The navy lightweight wool is for a 1903 trumpet skirt and the oyster striped muslin is for that blouse for which I have yet to change the pattern.  I love both fabrics, they are much better than I hoped for!

No comments:

Post a Comment