Sunday, April 14, 2013

Planting 2013 - part 1

 Map of the Back Yard:

 The area I am focusing on for now is the side flower bed on the left side of the yard between the lawn and the brick walkway.  The eucalyptus tree to the left of the side flower bed was removed this last fall.
 
My side flower bed never quite gets enough water in the summer as its current plants would like.  Talk about good drainage, the water just seems to seep down to the path level and comes out there.  Last year when we were on our 40 day "Slice of America 2" trip, I decided I was going to go succulents and other plants that don't really need summer water in that area.  As we are getting older I am trying to simplify gardening, especially thinking about getting plants that really cover territory so weeds can't grow so easily.  It takes all of Spring to weed the yard and with some aches and pains in the hips now when weeding I'm thinking of the future.  So......I did a little succulent hunting in the fall to see if I would really like it and my daughter got me a few from Annies earlier this spring.  They are doing well and I am really getting braver about this.

My Jen has beautiful front and back yards requiring very little water and she lives where is is very hot in the summer.  And she has gone really wild with these strange and wonderful forms. 

 This is her front yard where the forms are more conservative.  You should see her "Mr. Happy" and other echiums!
 
I am borrowing ideas from her and I have some new textures and sizes to add to my flower bed!  Hopefully I won't kill them and they will love my garden.

First job -
A bit of history, we had two dogs that required fencing around the flowerbeds.  We had to say goodby to our last dog last year so all the fencing came down and the flowerbeds could breath again.  And now we have two chickens and we let them run in the back yard during the day.  They are so cute, BUT, they do like to find areas of dirt and have a ball scratching and sending up a dust storm while having a dust bath!

It is hard to tell in the photo but you are looking at a chicken dust bathtub, right in the middle of the picture.

If a baby plant is in their way it will be sent flying, so.... up went the little fences again.  I thought I would never see them again but didn't throw the best of them away.  They're baaack!



So tomorrow morning I can start planting without worrying about my new little plants getting pulled out.  I'm hoping that the fencing will be able to be removed in a year when the plants are nice and big!

These are a few of the plants I bought yesterday:


These are Giant House Leeks - they are large for succulents but they aren't huge like palm trees, more like 3 feet tall at the tallest.


I already have one of these and they are really great for the lack of care needs and long blooming time.



It took me two years to gather enough courage to get the Tower of Jewels!  They ought to cover a bit of area where weeds can't grow.


I really love this one.  They get 18" wide and up to 1 foot tall and are great in rock gardens.


This one gets tall, up to 30" tall,  I love the orange on the leaves.  Unfortunately it will die after it blooms.


Great for rock gardens and only about 15" tall.  I'll be showing you what I have in mind with rocks.


Another of my favorites!  I love the color and texture.  See how it grows in the rocks....


And this is one I am counting on for covering the ground for weed control.  And, again see the rocks!

ROCKS!
My dearest hubby, many years ago, came home with a bunch of sandstone rocks with interesting holes in them.  He thought I could use them somewhere and mainly I have hidden them.  But, I am going to bring them out into my new succulent garden and hope everybody, rocks and plants, get along.  I will love it if I can have one of those rock gardens with plants just wandering and peeking between the rock cracks.











4 comments:

  1. Nice day for a Chicken dust bath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, they are not bathing in the side flower area! I fenced them off! But they will bathe somewhere else in the yard for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you plant your plants yet? I have to find a place for the Tower of Jewels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope - They will have to wait till Wednesday or Friday. Tower of Jewels doesn't take that much space and it is only for 2 years. Make sure it is in a place you can see from your kitchen window.

    ReplyDelete