Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Challenge #7 - My Project, a Hat

Challenge #7

I'm going to make a hat.  I have several hats but they are all dark, I need a new light, airy turn of the century.  Now, for style........I have an idea what I want but we will see how it turns out.

 I have buckram and wire already to here we go:


1.  2 cut layers of buckram steamed together are cut to hat top size, front and back are marked.
2.  Covered wire is stiched around the hat top edge.
3.  Hat sides are stiched to top.
4. Felt is added to the top and sides.

















4.  Fashion fabric is added to top and sides.


5. Cut out your brim.
6.  Outline your hat top onto your brim.  Remember you marked the front and back on your top.  Now mark it on the brim too.  Where do you want to place your outline?  It doesn't have to be in the center!
7.  Cut out about 3/4 in from your outline.  and cut notches in toward the outline
















I just had to add this photo.  Missy was really put off by me just taking pictures and not lovey-doveying her.

8.  Now what is your brim going to be like?  Flat, high curves, high on one side, down on the other?  Where you want a curve in the brim edge, slash and overlap the edges to make the curve.  Decide which way the curve is to go, up or down and pin.  How deep you slash and how many slashes determine how much of a curve and how smooth of a curve.  I would use a somewhat stiff paper to make a mock up.  You can vary deep slashes with short slashes for really high curvy brims.



9.  Sew the overlapped slashes closed.

11.  Pin the brim to the top.  If the brim hole is too big you can cut it from the outside to the hole (preferably at the back)  and overlap it to fit the top.


12. Un-pin the brim and cover the brim with felt starting with the side that will show the most, overlapping the brim edge and baste it down. 


To be continued:






 

1 comment:

  1. I think you should always have a picture of Missy on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete