Friday, March 15, 2013

The mixer story


Remember the bread I was trying to stick into my schedule last Sunday?  I did throw it together, just enough for one large loaf.  It is mostly whole grain flour and 7 grain hot cereal mix but does have a bit of white flour in it.  It is a pretty heavy bread because of all the grains but it sure is good!
















My Grandmother used this mixer (usually known as an egg beater):


Because of my tight schedule Sunday I decided to use the mixer for the first part of mixing... and I used this mixer.

This is my General Electric mixer that we received as a wedding gift 50 years ago.  It came with a stand but I only use it as a hand mixer.  Still works but doesn't run as well as it used to.....but then neither do I.

Normally I just mix bread dough by hand and then knead by hand...no bread machine.  But since I had spent a lot of time in the garden pulling weeds, my arms were "done".  And Miss GE had had it too.  She burned out a capacitor which my Dear Hubby replaced and she is back to running.  I am rather sentimental about her so decided to get a new mixer.

Everybody was recommending getting a Kitchenaid but I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on a mixer...I really normally don't use it that often.  And they don't seem to have stand mixers that are powerful and can be removed and used as a hand mixer So.....SH! don't let the word out too much, I bought a Cuisinart hand mixer for $50.


It has a strong motor 220w which is what Miss GE has.  It seems like it has LOTS of power but I haven't really used it yet.

As an added attraction you might want to watch a short video on, not mixers but blenders "can an iPhone be blended":  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1ckCkm8YI&feature=em-share_video_user


2 comments: