Monday, March 25, 2013

Gloves!


In Victorian and Edwardian periods, ladies, and gentlemen too, wore gloves when they went out.  If they weren't wearing them they were carrying them.  Even in the 1950s when women when to San Francisco they wore gloves.  But since then we have all become "casual".  It has its good points but we have lost the since of specialness when going somewhere and putting on gloves.  Now, you are lucky if you can find nylon gloves in the stores at prom time, although winter does bring out all those cold weather gloves.

I do have a few pairs that were my grandmother's and my aunt's and some I picked up at along the way.  Often I wear them at Ardenwood when I am going in or out of the park as well as plain nylon pairs of white and black.  Even though they are not period I figure people will just notice just the gloves for the look and not the details of from what period of time.  In period dress, outside without gloves does not convey the look of the time.



The above are Victorian.  I bought them at an estate sale in Pennsylvania years ago.  The design is open-work and crocheted. They are made of leather.


These are probably from the early 1960s.  The strip down the side is made of mylon knit for stretching.


 These were Grandma Daisy's.  They are embroidered leather.  I have no idea how to date them, but they seem like maybe from the 1930s.



Again, these are from the 1960s.  They are leather but have that nylon strip on the sides and on all the fingers.  I'm in the process of repairing these from the inside of one of them.
























No comments:

Post a Comment